Gun stocks are stocks of companies that manufacture and sell firearms and ammunition, including guns and pistols. There are not many publicly-listed gun stocks in the US. Only two manufacturers of firearms are listed on the US stock exchange, while a few other gun stocks are those of retailers that sell firearms.
Gun stocks suffered a decline after the election of Donald Trump as the US President. It was due to restrictions on gun ownership. However, after almost two years of low sales of guns and firearms, gun stocks have again started soaring and performing well.
Best Gun Stocks
|DKS||Dicks Sporting Goods||$137.18||19.05%||11.2B|
- Dicks Sporting Goods (DKS) – An American sporting goods retail company, with stores in the U.S. It provides a broad range of sporting goods, including firearms. However, following several high-profile incidents of gun violence, Dick’s Sporting Goods announced restrictions on gun sales in their stores.
- Olin Corporation (OLN) – An American manufacturer of ammunition, chlorine, and sodium hydroxide. Winchester, a division of the Olin Corporation, is one of the world’s most recognized names in firearms and has been a major player in the manufacturing of ammunition since the late 1800s.
- Sturm Ruger (RGR) – Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is one of the nation’s leading manufacturers of rugged, reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. They manufacture semi-automatic, single-shot, and bolt-action rifles, as well as semi-automatic pistols.
- Sportsman’s Warehouse (SPWH) – An outdoor sporting goods retailer with a significant focus on hunting and shooting sports. Their product line includes firearms, ammunition, and shooting accessories.
- Vista Outdoor (VSTO) – Vista Outdoor is a designer, manufacturer, and marketer of consumer products in the outdoor sports and recreation markets. One of their business lines is shooting sports, which includes firearms, ammunition, and shooting accessories.
- Walmart (WMT) – Walmart is an American multinational retail corporation operating a chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores. They once carried a variety of firearms and ammunition in their stores. However, in recent years, Walmart has significantly curtailed the sale of firearms and completely stopped selling ammunition that can be used in semi-automatic rifles and handguns.
Factors To Consider Before Investing In Gun Stocks
Investors should consider that the performance of gun stocks relies on many government regulations, laws, political environments, and the economic environment of the country as a whole. For instance, gun stocks rose after two mass shootings in the United States and the introduction of new gun laws. Stricter laws and tough regulations increase the demand and sales of firearms and ammunition, hence the rally in gun stocks.
In addition to the macro-environment, the financial strength of gun companies should also be looked into. Investors must consider sales, revenues, profit margin, earnings per share, and valuation before investing in gun stocks.
Which Gun Stocks Should I Buy?
Of the few listed gunmaker companies, we have shortlisted the best gun stocks for investors to add to their investment portfolios. Gun stocks are quite volatile, yet they hold strong future potential for high returns.
Gun stocks and guns industry are strongly influenced by emotions. Therefore, investors must remain vigilant of the actual valuation before investing in gun stocks. The undervalued gun stocks offer a good opportunity for investors to add gun stocks to their portfolio and generate long-term gains and add value to the portfolio.