Retail stocks are the stocks of the retail companies engaged in selling goods to the consumers for personal use. They are highly volatile and easily affected by the spending capability and perceptions of consumers.
The retail industry and retail stocks are the ones most affected by the consumers and the economy. If the economy is good and consumers have ample money to spend, the retail industry gets directly impacted, and retail stock prices shoot up. Similarly, when people do not have enough money to spend, the primary industry to get affected is retail.
Best Retail Stocks
|CHS||Chico's FAS, Inc.||$7.55||40.33%||932.1M|
|FRAN||Franchise Brands PLC||$153.19||-20.42%||296.9M|
|DEST||Destiny Pharma PLC||$68.70||108.24%||65.5M|
|APEX||Lyxor MSCI AC Asia Ex Japan UCITS ETF - Acc||$120.28||#N/A||#N/A|
|AERO||Svenska Aerogel Holding AB (publ)||$0.26||-21.21%||132.2M|
|CLWY||Calloway's Nursery, Inc.||$8.01||#N/A||64.0M|
|BEBE||bebe stores inc||$2.26||-55.69%||29.1M|
|SRGHY||Shoprite Holdings ADR||$14.10||#N/A||154.8B|
|FRCOY||Fast Retailing ADR||$24.68||21.58%||11761.4B|
|MAKSY||Marks and Spencer Group ADR||$6.28||104.56%||5.0B|
|LB||Laurentian Bank of Canada||$26.08||-18.73%||1.1B|
|RTW||RTW Biotech Opportunities Ltd||$1.19||15.53%||249.4M|
|DBI||Designer Brands Inc||$8.54||-19.36%||496.5M|
|CTRN||Citi Trends, Inc.||$24.19||-19.71%||207.2M|
|CVS||CVS Health Corp||$71.02||-30.38%||91.4B|
|WBA||Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc||$20.51||-50.23%||17.7B|
|URBN||Urban Outfitters, Inc.||$34.55||19.22%||3.2B|
|AEO||American Eagle Outfitters Inc||$19.36||20.40%||3.8B|
|SCVL||Shoe Carnival Inc||$24.84||-0.88%||673.9M|
|ANF||Abercrombie & Fitch Co||$77.73||239.88%||3.9B|
|DLTH||Duluth Holdings Inc||$5.07||-19.52%||174.8M|
|BBY||Best Buy Co Inc||$74.00||-12.24%||15.9B|
|PLCE||Children's Place Inc||$21.60||-39.65%||269.5M|
|HVT||Haverty Furniture Companies, Inc.||$32.08||3.79%||520.3M|
|BOOT||Boot Barn Holdings Inc||$75.69||15.49%||2.3B|
|LOW||Lowe's Companies Inc||$205.92||-0.13%||118.4B|
|TJX||TJX Companies Inc||$88.00||10.75%||100.3B|
|LL||Ll Flooring Holdings Inc||$3.50||-46.48%||108.0M|
|HD||Home Depot Inc||$323.50||1.07%||322.0B|
|ROST||Ross Stores Inc||$132.24||12.68%||44.8B|
|FND||Floor & Decor Holdings Inc||$97.97||31.82%||10.4B|
|LULU||Lululemon Athletica Inc||$456.93||19.89%||57.8B|
|TTS||Tintina Mines Ltd||$0.02||#N/A||690.6K|
|DXLG||Destination XL Group Inc||$3.68||-42.77%||221.5M|
- American Eagle Outfitters Inc (AEO): American Eagle is a global specialty retailer offering high-quality, on-trend clothing, accessories and personal care products at affordable prices under its American Eagle® and Aerie® brands.
- Svenska Aerogel Holding AB (publ) (AERO): This Swedish company manufactures and commercializes Quartzene, which is used in air and gas purification, thermal insulation, paint and coatings, and other applications.
- Abercrombie & Fitch Co (ANF): Abercrombie & Fitch is a global specialty retailer of high-quality, casual apparel for Men, Women, and Kids with an active, youthful lifestyle under its Abercrombie & Fitch, abercrombie kids, and Hollister Co. brands.
- Lyxor MSCI AC Asia Ex Japan UCITS ETF – Acc (APEX): APEX is an exchange-traded fund (ETF) that aims to track the performance of the MSCI AC Asia ex Japan Net Total Return index.
- Best Buy Co Inc (BBY): Best Buy is a multinational retailer of technology and entertainment products and services with a commitment to growth and innovation.
- bebe stores inc (BEBE): bebe is a women’s retail brand that was established in 1976. The brand develops and produces a line of women’s apparel, accessories, and perfume fragrances.
- Buckle Inc (BKE): Buckle is a leading retailer of medium to better–priced casual apparel, footwear, and accessories for fashion–conscious young men and women.
- Boot Barn Holdings Inc (BOOT): Boot Barn is a lifestyle retail chain, which operates specialty retail stores. Its products include boots, jeans, accessories, hats, gifts and home products, and work wear apparel.
- Cato Corp (CATO): Cato Corporation is an American retailer of women’s fashions and accessories operating three brands — Cato, Versona and It’s Fashion/It’s Fashion Metro.
- Chico’s FAS, Inc. (CHS): Chico’s is a company that specializes in women’s clothing and accessories, with three brands: Chico’s, White House Black Market, and Soma.
- Calloway’s Nursery, Inc. (CLWY): This company operates retail garden centers in the United States. It offers plants, including bedding plants, containerized trees and shrubs, herbs, seeds, seasonal vegetables, house plants, and hanging baskets.
- Citi Trends, Inc. (CTRN): Citi Trends is a value-priced retailer of urban fashion apparel and accessories for the entire family. The company operates over 500 stores in the United States.
- CVS Health Corp (CVS): CVS Health is a pharmacy innovation company helping people on their path to better health. It operates a chain of pharmacies and a pharmacy benefits manager.
- Designer Brands Inc (DBI): Designer Brands is one of North America’s largest designers, producers, and retailers of footwear and accessories.
- Dillard’s Inc (DDS): Dillard’s, Inc. is a fashion apparel, cosmetics and home furnishing retailer with annual revenues exceeding $6 billion.
- Destiny Pharma PLC (DEST): Destiny Pharma is a clinical-stage, innovative biotechnology company focused on the development of novel medicines to prevent life-threatening infections.
- Duluth Holdings Inc (DLTH): Duluth Holdings, known for its brand Duluth Trading Company, is a lifestyle brand of men’s and women’s casual wear, workwear and accessories.
- Destination XL Group Inc (DXLG): Destination XL Group, Inc. is a specialty retailer of men’s big and tall apparel, with operations throughout the United States, Canada and London, England.
- Express Inc (EXPR): Express is a fashion brand for work, casual and going-out styles. It targets the 20 to 30 year old customer demographic.
- Floor & Decor Holdings Inc (FND): Floor & Decor is a multi-channel specialty retailer operating 140 warehouse-format stores across 32 states at the end of the fiscal year 2021. The Company offers a broad assortment of in-stock hard-surface flooring, including tile, wood, laminate/luxury vinyl plank, and natural stone along with decorative and installation accessories.
About the Retail Industry
The retail industry is a vast and dynamic sector that encompasses a wide range of businesses, from small mom-and-pop stores to large chain retailers. These businesses sell a wide variety of goods and services to consumers, including clothing, electronics, groceries, and more.
In recent years, the retail industry has undergone significant changes, particularly with the rise of e-commerce and online shopping. This has led to a shift in consumer behavior, with more and more people choosing to shop online rather than in brick-and-mortar stores. As a result, many traditional retailers have had to adapt to stay competitive, by investing in their online presence, improving delivery options and enhancing their in-store experience.
Another significant trend in the retail industry is the growth of omnichannel retail, which refers to retailers that have both an online and offline presence. This allows customers to shop in-store, online, or through a mobile app, and pick up their purchases in-store or have them delivered to their homes.
The retail industry also includes big-box retailers and discount stores, which offer a wide range of products at low prices. These retailers often have large store formats, and they tend to be located in suburban areas or out-of-town shopping centers.
Additionally, the retail industry includes specialty stores, which focus on a specific product category, such as sporting goods, electronics, or furniture.
Overall, the retail industry is a constantly evolving sector that is shaped by consumer behavior, technological advancements, and economic trends. Those retailers that are able to adapt to these changes and offer a convenient, seamless and personalized shopping experience will be the ones that thrive in the long term.
Factors to Consider Before Investing in Top Retail Stocks
The most significant factor to consider before investing in retail stocks is volatility. They swing multiple times of the actual movement in the economy. If the economy booms to a small extent, retail stocks usually grow manifold; and similarly, if the economy downticks just a bit, the negative impact on retail stocks is massive.
Investors can begin with Peter Lynch’s strategy to buy what you know, i.e., investing in retail stores that they visit and like. However, such investment must be backed with expensive fundamental research.
Many retail stores do well, even in bad times, and others perform poorly in good times. Therefore, the fundamentals of the company like earnings, margins, and revenue growth, valuation multiples including P/E ratio and P/S ratio must be researched before investing in the highly volatile and risky retail stocks.
Which Retail Stocks Should I Buy?
To make the selection easier for you, we have aggregated a list of the top retail stocks. The choice should be made based on the profit margins, earnings growth, and valuation multiples of the company, in addition to your investment goals.
Retail stocks are risky yet rewarding. If the stock selection is made efficiently, after considering the inherent volatility and fundamentals of the stocks, retail stocks can prove to add a lot of value to investors’ portfolios. Investors should also consider the rapid growth of online retailers and their impact on the overall retail market before choosing the top retail stocks.