Leidos Company Overview
What is the Stock Ticker for Leidos?
The stock ticker for Leidos is LDOS.
Where is the Leidos headquarters?
Leidos' headquarters is located in Reston, Virginia, United States.
What Does Leidos Do?
Leidos is a technology and engineering company that provides solutions and services to various industries, including defense, intelligence, healthcare, and energy. They specialize in areas such as cybersecurity, data analytics, and systems integration.
How Does Leidos Make Money?
Leidos is a technology and engineering company that provides solutions and services to various industries, including defense, intelligence, healthcare, and civil. The company makes money through several revenue streams, including:
1. Government contracts: Leidos has a significant presence in the government contracting space, providing technology and engineering solutions to various government agencies, including the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and the National Institutes of Health. The company earns revenue by bidding on and winning government contracts, which can range from a few million dollars to several billion dollars.
2. Commercial contracts: Leidos also provides technology and engineering solutions to commercial clients, including healthcare providers, energy companies, and transportation companies. The company earns revenue by bidding on and winning commercial contracts, which can range from a few hundred thousand dollars to several million dollars.
3. Product sales: Leidos also sells products, including software, hardware, and other technology solutions, to various clients. The company earns revenue by selling these products directly to clients or through resellers.
4. Consulting services: Leidos provides consulting services to clients, including strategic planning, program management, and technical consulting. The company earns revenue by charging clients for these services on an hourly or project basis.
Overall, Leidos makes money by providing technology and engineering solutions to various industries, including government, commercial, and healthcare. The company earns revenue through government and commercial contracts, product sales, and consulting services.
Who Founded Leidos?
Leidos was founded by John Robert Beyster in 1969 as Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC).
What is the History of Leidos?
Leidos is an American defense, aviation, information technology, and biomedical research company that was founded in 1969. Originally known as Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), the company was established by J. Robert Beyster and a group of scientists from the University of California, San Diego.
In its early years, SAIC focused on providing scientific and technical services to the US government, particularly in the areas of national security and defense. The company quickly grew and expanded its services to include engineering, logistics, and IT support.
In 2013, SAIC split into two separate companies, with the technical services and enterprise IT business becoming Leidos. The name "Leidos" is derived from the word "kaleidoscope," which represents the company's diverse range of services and solutions.
Today, Leidos is a Fortune 500 company with over 37,000 employees and operations in more than 30 countries. The company provides a wide range of services to government agencies, including defense, intelligence, homeland security, and health. Leidos is also involved in various research and development projects, particularly in the areas of biomedicine and energy.
What Industry is Leidos In?
Leidos is in the information technology industry.
What Are Leidos's Competitive Advantages?
1. Strong government relationships: Leidos has a long-standing relationship with the US government, which is one of its biggest clients. This gives the company a competitive advantage in winning government contracts and accessing classified information.
2. Diversified portfolio: Leidos has a diversified portfolio of services and solutions, which allows it to cater to a wide range of clients across different industries. This helps the company to mitigate risks and maintain a stable revenue stream.
3. Technological expertise: Leidos has a strong focus on technology and innovation, which has helped it to develop cutting-edge solutions for its clients. This expertise gives the company a competitive advantage in the market.
4. Strong brand reputation: Leidos has a strong brand reputation in the market, which is built on its track record of delivering high-quality services and solutions to its clients. This reputation helps the company to attract and retain top talent and win new business.
5. Global presence: Leidos has a global presence, with operations in over 40 countries. This gives the company a competitive advantage in accessing new markets and expanding its client base.
What Are Leidos's Competitive Threats?
Some competitive threats to Leidos include:
1. Other large government contractors such as Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and Booz Allen Hamilton.
2. Smaller, more agile companies that specialize in emerging technologies and can quickly adapt to changing market demands.
3. Non-traditional competitors such as technology companies like Google and Amazon that are expanding into the government contracting space.
4. Economic downturns or government budget cuts that could reduce demand for Leidos' services.
5. Cybersecurity threats that could compromise Leidos' sensitive data and damage its reputation.
Who Are Some of the Competitors of Leidos?
Some of the competitors of Leidos include Booz Allen Hamilton, CACI International, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and Raytheon.
What Are Some of Leidos's Products and Services?
Some notable products and services from Leidos include:
1. Defense and Intelligence Solutions: Leidos provides a range of solutions to support national security and defense, including intelligence analysis, cybersecurity, logistics, and mission support.
2. Health Solutions: Leidos offers a variety of health solutions, including electronic health records, clinical research, and health IT services.
3. Energy and Environmental Solutions: Leidos provides solutions to support energy and environmental initiatives, including renewable energy, environmental remediation, and nuclear energy.
4. Aviation Solutions: Leidos offers a range of aviation solutions, including air traffic management, flight planning, and airport operations.
5. IT Solutions: Leidos provides a variety of IT solutions, including software development, data analytics, and cloud computing services.
6. Engineering Solutions: Leidos offers engineering solutions in areas such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and electrical engineering.
7. Space Solutions: Leidos provides solutions to support space exploration and research, including satellite communications, space systems engineering, and space mission support.
Has Leidos Acquired any Companies?
Yes, Leidos has made several notable acquisitions, including the acquisition of Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions business in 2016, the acquisition of Dynetics in 2020, and the acquisition of L3Harris Technologies' Security Detection and Automation businesses in 2021.