Medical stocks are stocks of the companies involved in medical technology. Such companies manufacture medical devices and perform extensive research and development in the field of medicine. Medical technology companies also include medical systems companies, medical aesthetics companies, medical equipment companies, medical labs, and drug makers.
The performance of medical stocks is measured in terms of Composite Ratings, and most of them have very high composite ratings of around 95. It implies that in the most recent times, medical stocks have outperformed 95% of all other stocks. With the ever booming increase in science and technology, Medical stocks have had a good run in 2019 and have generated high returns.
|BSX||Boston Scientific Corporation||$48.09||12.07%||68.9B|
|EW||Edwards Lifesciences Corporation||$80.04||-27.98%||49.5B|
|ZBH||Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc.||$130.94||20.88%||27.5B|
|ALGN||Align Technology, Inc.||$345.07||-31.02%||27.0B|
|SNN||Smith & Nephew plc||$28.63||-11.74%||12.5B|
|GMED||Globus Medical, Inc.||$77.88||15.60%||7.8B|
|ITGR||Integer Holdings Corporation||$73.55||-6.11%||2.4B|
|PBH||Prestige Consumer Healthcare Inc.||$60.70||5.92%||3.0B|
|BDX||Becton, Dickinson and Company||$253.19||-3.55%||71.7B|
|ISRG||Intuitive Surgical, Inc.||$253.06||-11.17%||89.4B|
|BAX||Baxter International Inc.||$45.61||-47.50%||23.0B|
|MTD||Mettler-Toledo International Inc.||$1,557.94||3.87%||34.7B|
|COO||The Cooper Companies, Inc.||$348.94||-9.81%||17.2B|
|XRAY||DENTSPLY SIRONA Inc.||$38.64||-25.86%||8.3B|
|VAR||Varian Medical Systems, Inc.||$0.02||-66.67%||4.3M|
|WST||West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.||$272.38||-32.03%||20.2B|
|HRC||Hill-Rom Holdings, Inc.||#N/A||#N/A||#N/A|
|TMO||Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.||$583.15||-0.66%||228.7B|
|IQV||IQVIA Holdings Inc.||$235.84||-4.10%||43.8B|
|A||Agilent Technologies, Inc.||$154.51||10.07%||45.7B|
|LH||Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings||$247.24||-9.95%||21.9B|
|DGX||Quest Diagnostics Incorporated||$145.92||10.37%||16.2B|
|BIO||Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.||$476.94||-23.70%||13.9B|
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corporation||$68.57||-12.19%||12.2B|
|ICLR||ICON Public Limited Company||$241.91||-9.82%||19.8B|
|GH||Guardant Health, Inc.||$28.56||-60.68%||2.9B|
|CRL||Charles River Laboratories International, Inc.||$252.64||-24.53%||12.9B|
|PRAH||PRA Health Sciences, Inc.||#N/A||#N/A||#N/A|
|SYNH||Syneos Health, Inc.||$38.22||-57.17%||3.9B|
|MEDP||Medpace Holdings, Inc.||$234.73||36.84%||7.3B|
|JNJ||Johnson & Johnson||$163.40||-4.48%||427.2B|
|MRK||Merck & Co., Inc.||$105.68||36.22%||267.9B|
|LLY||Eli Lilly and Company||$339.68||39.47%||322.8B|
|BMY||Bristol-Myers Squibb Company||$74.52||12.58%||158.4B|
|GILD||Gilead Sciences, Inc.||$86.05||34.96%||107.3B|
|GWPH||GW Pharmaceuticals plc||#N/A||#N/A||#N/A|
|HCM||Hutchison China MediTech Limited||$18.37||-33.37%||3.3B|
|HRTX||Heron Therapeutics, Inc.||$3.05||-65.69%||362.6M|
|TEVA||Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited||$10.89||28.72%||12.2B|
|RDY||Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited||$54.22||-5.74%||738.1B|
|CGC||Canopy Growth Corporation||$2.82||-64.08%||1.8B|
|ACB||Aurora Cannabis Inc.||$1.00||-76.08%||405.5M|
|TARO||Taro Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.||$31.00||-29.48%||1.2B|
|TAK||Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited||$15.92||6.63%||6729.5B|
|ELAN||Elanco Animal Health Incorporated||$13.93||-44.41%||6.6B|
|HZNP||Horizon Therapeutics Public Limited Company||$109.80||17.10%||25.1B|
|PCRX||Pacira BioSciences, Inc.||$41.60||-34.29%||1.9B|
|IRWD||Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, Inc.||$11.58||4.14%||1.8B|
|SUPN||Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.||$38.14||22.28%||2.1B|
Examples of Medical Stocks
Medical stocks can be a great investment opportunity for those looking to gain exposure to the healthcare industry. The sector is known for its steady growth, as the population ages and demand for healthcare services increases.
Below are some examples of Medical stocks and brief overviews of how the companies operate.
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) – Johnson & Johnson is a diversified healthcare company that operates in three segments: pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and consumer health. The company has a strong track record of consistent growth and is considered a blue-chip stock. Johnson & Johnson is also known for its strong brand and reputation, which can be a valuable asset in the healthcare industry.
- UnitedHealth Group (UNH) – UnitedHealth Group is the largest healthcare company in the United States. The company operates in two segments: UnitedHealthcare and Optum. UnitedHealthcare provides health benefits to individuals and employers, while Optum offers healthcare services and technology solutions. UnitedHealth Group has a strong track record of growth and is considered a solid investment opportunity.
- AbbVie Inc. (ABBV) – AbbVie is a pharmaceutical company that specializes in developing and commercializing innovative drugs. The company’s most successful product is Humira, a treatment for autoimmune diseases that generates billions of dollars in sales each year. AbbVie also has a strong pipeline of drugs in development, which could drive future growth.
- Medtronic plc (MDT) – Medtronic is a medical device company that specializes in developing and commercializing innovative devices for the treatment of chronic diseases. The company operates in four segments: Cardiac and Vascular, Minimally Invasive Therapies, Restorative Therapies, and Diabetes. Medtronic has a strong track record of growth and is considered a solid investment opportunity.
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD) – Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that specializes in developing and commercializing drugs for the treatment of viral diseases. The company’s most successful product is Truvada, a treatment for HIV. Gilead Sciences also has a strong pipeline of drugs in development, which could drive future growth.
About the Medical Industry
The medical industry is a broad and diverse field that encompasses a wide range of products and services related to healthcare. This includes everything from pharmaceuticals and medical devices to healthcare services and biotechnology. The industry is a major contributor to the global economy and is expected to continue growing in the coming years due to an aging population and increasing demand for healthcare services.
One of the major segments of the medical industry is the pharmaceuticals segment, which involves the research, development, and commercialization of drugs. Pharmaceutical companies are responsible for discovering, testing, and bringing new drugs to market. These companies often invest heavily in research and development in order to stay competitive and bring new treatments to patients.
Another important segment of the medical industry is the medical devices segment. This includes companies that manufacture and market a wide range of medical devices, such as diagnostic equipment, implantable devices, and surgical instruments. These companies often work closely with physicians and other healthcare professionals to design and develop new products that can improve patient outcomes.
The healthcare services segment includes hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare providers that offer services to patients. This segment is expected to continue growing in the coming years as the population ages and demand for healthcare services increases.
The biotechnology segment is a rapidly growing area of the medical industry that involves the application of technology to the study of living organisms and biological systems. Biotechnology companies often focus on developing new therapies and treatments for diseases and disorders.
The medical industry is a vital and dynamic field that plays a crucial role in improving the health and well-being of people around the world. It is expected to continue growing in the coming years, driven by advances in technology, an aging population, and increasing demand for healthcare services.
Factors to Consider Before Investing in Medical Stocks
Medical stocks follow a high-risk high-reward profile. The success or failure of medical technology companies largely rely on the acceptance or non-acceptance of innovative products, and the results of new research and development.
Before investing in medical stocks, investors must consider the composite ratings of the stocks. Additionally, investors must consider the fundamentals of the companies, including revenues, earnings growth, P/E ratios, and dividend yield.
Which Medical Stocks Should I Buy?
Several medical stocks trade on the stock exchanges. Among them, we have shortlisted the best medical stocks for your reference. Investors should apply extensive research, analysis, and due diligence before picking suitable stocks for them.
Investors must note that medical stocks are more suitable for long-term capital gains rather than short-term dividend income. Therefore, the dividend yield should not be the deciding factor. Instead, investors must look for the overall strength of the companies’ fundamentals, innovation, the efficiency of the research & development teams, and market capitalization of companies before investing in medical stocks.